- “Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one.” -Voltaire
- “Daryl Morey suggested a new definition of the nerd: a person who knows his own mind well enough to mistrust it.” (31)
- “Danny said, “I’ve always felt ideas were a dime a dozen. If you had one that didn’t work out, you should not fight too hard to save it, just go find another.”” (73)
- “Later when he was a university professor, Danny would tell students, “When someone says something, don’t ask yourself if it is true. Ask what it might be true of.” That was his intellectual instinct, his natural first step to the mental hoop: to take whatever someone had just said to him and try not to tear it down but to make sense of it.” (82)
- “At some point it didn’t matter: He compelled himself to be brave until bravery became a habit.” (94) View full article »
Latest Entries »
Now that Modi is having the last laugh, here’s the list of Taleb’s aphorisms that he needs to dish out to the pseudo intellectuals and the snake oil salesmen who argued that his demonetization policy move would spell death-knell for him in electoral politics:
- People feel totally lost (& deep anxiety) finding out that someone they held for stupid is actually more intelligent than they are.
- Risk takers never complain. They do.
- The ultimate freedom lies in not having to explain “why” you did something.
- Nit-picking is the unmistakable mark of cluelessness.
- Never rid anyone of an illusion unless you can replace it in his mind with View full article »
Today is the biggest political economic event of India the yearly govt. Budget 2017, It has been always the biggest sales event by the media and every year the projections, expectations are on the rise.
The following will be the reactions to the budget to be presented even before analyzing it .
- BJP – Path breaking, pro-farmer & will help the last person in the society.
- Congress – Anti-poor & will increase inflation.
- AAP – For the benefit of Adani & Ambani.
- CPI & CPM – Will serve American interest & will result in mass unemployment. View full article »
“What we learn from history is that people don’t learn from history.” When investors get either too fearful or too greedy, they sometimes hide behind the notion that “This time it’s different.” Usually they regret it.
On fear and greed
“Two super-contagious diseases, fear and greed, will forever occur in the investment community. The timing of these epidemics will be unpredictable. … We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful.” This is the simple recipe for being a contrarian investor. View full article »
Here are some of the bad financial habits that one need to give up in 2017 by saying No :
- Don’t carry a credit card balance.
- Don’t invest in high-turnover stock funds.
- Don’t trust brokers when their lips are moving.
- Don’t forget that a high potential return means high risk.
- Don’t buy a home if you think you’ll move in the next five years.
- Don’t invest 100% in stocks — or 100% in bonds.
- Don’t die without a will.
- Don’t retire with debt.
- Don’t buy initial public stock offerings. View full article »