- “Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one.” -Voltaire
- “Daryl Morey suggested a new definition of the nerd: a person who knows his own mind well enough to mistrust it.” (31)
- “Danny said, “I’ve always felt ideas were a dime a dozen. If you had one that didn’t work out, you should not fight too hard to save it, just go find another.”” (73)
- “Later when he was a university professor, Danny would tell students, “When someone says something, don’t ask yourself if it is true. Ask what it might be true of.” That was his intellectual instinct, his natural first step to the mental hoop: to take whatever someone had just said to him and try not to tear it down but to make sense of it.” (82)
- “At some point it didn’t matter: He compelled himself to be brave until bravery became a habit.” (94) Continue reading
Tag Archive: Randomness
This time Nassim N. Taleb came out with “The Spurious Tail” with reference and based on his book Fooled by Randomness.
A spurious tail is the performance of a certain number of operators that is entirely caused by luck, what is called the “lucky fool” in Taleb (2001). Because of winner-take-all-effects (from globalization),spurious performance increases with time Continue reading